Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Breakfast and War

I had a heavy breakfast earlier. Idle that I am, I didn't want to wash dishes so I decided to eat (dine in) in the turo2x in front of our dorm.

I usually could not finish eating one cup of rice but the nice lady who owns the place served almost two servings equivalent to my one-cup order.

I asked for half serving of this sitaw-baboy dish but she filled the bowl. I also had adobong manok.

If I ate in another place, I would not have hesitated in leaving without finishing the meal. But there I was, in her simple place; and she was happily telling the story of her life, husbands (yes, with an "s") and children. Leaving with so much food still left on my plate would make me feel guilty because I know that money and resources mean a lot to her.

I'm naturally shy so I was contented being by myself, eating my meal as if it's just another task. But she's so makwento and there, she gave me a full account of her happy life while she was doing her tasks. She is happy despite the worldly problems, mostly financial.

I don't know how I can be happy if I were in her shoes. I don't think that I will ever be there, under the circumstances that I am in right now. But that is not the point.

If we are all like her - happy, feeling positive amidst all problems and working not only for self-preservation but also for service, there will be peace, harmony, contentment and all the good things here on earth. Stop the fighting and killings! Let's get on with our lives. Now, where exactly am I going????

Regardless of the issue - poverty or war, love and values must always prevail.

Let there be peace on earth :-)

No comments: